Betting is all about luck and strategy. However, when we talk about luck, there’s nothing we can do about it. Some people do some rituals or even prayers, but no matter what kind of rituals or how long you pray, your luck will depend on if Lady Luck looks upon you with favor. As hopeless as that is, all hope is not lost.

We may never be able to dictate our luck, but thankfully, in terms of strategy, there’s a lot that we can do. In that case, there are countless strategies you can use in horse racing betting, and that’s what we’re going to talk about today. In today’s article, we will discuss some of the most effective strategies that even veteran bettors still use. Let’s start.


Of course, perhaps the most famous horse racing strategy nowadays. The best thing about dutching is that it applies to horse racing as you can also use dutching in various sports like basketball, football, baseball, etc. That being said, what is dutching, and how do you use it? Dutching aims to win and profit from at least one of your bets’ outcomes.

In this way, even if only one bet of yours won, you’ll still get equal profit. Of course, you would use a lot of mathematics for this one, but don’t worry; you don’t have to be a math whiz to use this strategy. In essence, dutching benefits your bankroll if you know which horses to bet.

Lay Betting

Lay betting is one of the most effective ways that can allow you to have a higher probability of winning when used correctly. Through betting exchanges, bettors will have the option to lay horses in online horse betting sites. The key here is to be selective regarding which horses you should bet on.

For example, the most common method is to bet on horses with short odds that recently transitioned from synthetic track surfaces to dirt. Many horses who usually go to transition would take a few races to be fond of the track surface, and in their first race, they will have difficulty running.


If you want to bet horse racing, another popular strategy that many veteran bettors use is the 80/20 strategy. If you don’t know what that is, 80/20 is a method where you’ll have to bet twice on the same horse. To use this strategy, you must understand that anything can happen in the race. One moment, your horse is galloping towards the front; the next, it comes last.

For example, to counteract such a situation, you must wager 20% of your bet for the horse to win and the remaining 80% to place. This scenario happens often, and if you feel like you’ve been in this situation more often recently, this strategy will at least minimize your losses.

Exotic Boxing

This one is not a strategy per se but more like a method to betting on exotic bets. The most popular exotic bets are arguably exacta, trifecta, and superfecta. Each bet would require you to bet on multiple horses to win the top spots in the correct order. For example, for the exacta, you would have to bet two horses to win the first and second place and in the correct order of your bet. Of course, that would be hard.

However, boxing your exotic bets would allow you to still pick on two horses to win the top spots without them being in the correct order. For example, in your exacta, you bet on horses #4 and #7 to win the first and second, respectively. However, if you boxed your exacta bet, even if #7 came first and #4 came second, you’ll still win your bet.

The Yankee Strategy

Now this one is commonly known as the granddaddy of all horse racing bets since it’s very old, and a lot of strategies are derived from this one. What is the Yankee strategy, and how does it work? In this strategy, you must choose to bet on four horses in different races.

To succeed in this strategy, at least two of the four horses you bet on should win or get placed in their races. Usually, a Yankee bet has 11 equal-value bets: six doubles, four trebles, and one four-fold bet. This strategy is very popular because of the generous payout you’ll possibly win if you win half of your Yankee bets.

Final Words

Although there’s nothing we can do with our luck in betting, there’s a lot we can do regarding skill and strategy. If you want to win more in horse racing betting, you should try at least one of the strategies we discussed today in this article. They are proven effective and both newbs and veteran bettors use them a lot in horse racing betting. With all that said, good luck.