It has been hailed as the start of creative movement like never before, with 115,500 people from 100 different countries.
This year, Sónar 2016 received 115,500 attendees from a hundred different countries. In fact, 53% of the audience was international, mostly British, while the remaining 47% came from Catalonia and the rest from Spain. The festival is divided into two parts, Sónar by Day and Sónar by Night. The former attracted around 46,500 spectators, while Sónar by Night attracted 69,000.
This year, the festival presented a total of 130 performances that covered a wide spectrum such as musical experimentation, dance music, global dance trends, minimalism and even classic symphonies.The festival featured artists such as Anhoni, Niño de Elche + Los Voluble, Kode9, BrianEno or Jean-Michel Jarre. These artists touched on important issues ranging from climate change to border policy, transgender rights to state surveillance.
The festival also hosted 4,700 professional candidates from around 60 hundred countries who attended the festival for the wide range of workshops and seminars that were held here.