The Sherp had an amicable chat with the Pepsi UNBOX winners who go by Space Behind The Yellow Room, a relatively fledgling, albeit exceptional post rock band who are on their way to perform at Music Matters Live festival, Singapore.
Here’s the gist of our conversation with them.
(Image Via: youtube.com)
1. Hey, guys! Congratulations on the win, we’re all super stoked. Your band is the only one representing India on the MM Live line-up so far. Is that intimidating or challenging in any way?
We are thrilled actually. There’s no need to be intimidated, we think. Unless of course we’re all in denial. But it’s definitely a great feeling to know that we are representing the scene.
2. Conversations That Determine A Life, your debut EP, is a profound anthology of atmospheric/post-rock tracks. Do you think that your sound has changed at all since you recorded it in September 2014?
The idea behind Space Behind the Yellow Room is actually just to keep evolving (or at least trying to). Since September, we’ve been trying new things, new ideas, finding new music. So, we are changing. We can feel it. But it’s still in the process. Although we have a strong feeling that the new album will not sound like the old one.
3. Beautiful Repetition, a track from your EP, is nearly seven minutes long and is undeniably intense. What inspired this track?
Conversation that Determine a Life is a story of the reformation of the animal kingdom. The tracks are a series of emotion that goes through the protagonist. Beautiful Repetition is the beginning of the process of acceptance. It’s about emotional flux. Anger, hope, denial and peace. It’s a fight.
4. Your music is defined as post-rock/post-metal/space with progressive and atmospheric undertones. Is it important to differentiate yourself in terms of genre/sound from the rest of the bands that coexist in the gradually evolving indie scene in India? If yes, what is your differentiating factor?
Honestly, our genre of music is only defined by us because people ask in interviews. And Soundcloud and YouTube ask for genres. We don’t know how we’re doing what we’re doing. We only know why we’re doing it. The rest follows.
5. We hear that you’re working on a full length album now. What can you tell us about it so far?
Ah! Yes! We’re working towards a new album. It’s slow. We will take our time with it. There’s not a lot to say about it yet. Just that it’s happening. It’s harder now that we’re in different cities. But it’s an interesting turn in Space’s life. Something great will come out of it. Hopefully.
(Image Via: indianbandshub.blogspot.com)
The Festive Five:
1. If you had to get married at a festival, which one would it be and why?
2. Who/what is your favorite festival buddy? Tell us why.
Our favourite festival buddy was Eshaan. He was our tech support. But then he started playing bass with us. So, now it’s Quentin. Because, you know, we made an EP with him.
3. A festival you would consider being sober at?
We’d be sober at any festival we’re playing at. Till we’re done. No other.
4. If you could take only 3 things to a festival, what would they be and why?
If we could, we’d go to every festival empty handed, empty pockets. Then we can just forget the world and festival the hell out that festival. But, that won’t happen. So, a towel, because Shoumik sweats a lot. Screwdriver set. Ziploc incase it rains.
5. Name a festival you would consider attending alone. Tell us why.
Diwali. Because lights and stuff. Peace and shit. sound levels going beyond any acceptable limit.
Catch Space Behind The Yellow Room live at MM Live festival in Singapore. For more info about the festival, check out MM Live’s facebook.