5. My first experience with Above & Beyond was in June of 2010 during Electric Daisy Carnival in Los Angeles. I had not started listening to Electronic Dance Music let alone trance at this point in my life, and my attending that festival was by complete coincidence/accident.
I remember I was instantly drawn into their incredibly uplifting stage presence. I was a very depressed person walking into the festival. Unsure of what I wanted out of life while consistently being in and out of huge bouts of depression the years leading up to that point. I was overwhelmed by the amount of palpable love I could feel in the atmosphere during their set. It was an insane reminder of how powerful music is. I do not remember what song it was that they played, but I do remember the message they sent to the crowd: “This is for those who left the Earth too soon.” I was instantly brought to tears by this. I had lost a very close friend to suicide when I was in high school, and in that moment Above & Beyond healed every bit of pain I had ever held in my heart. I will never forget it.
I look up to Tony, Jono and Paavo as role models. Along with that they are what I aspire to be in my own path as a DJ/producer/human being. I am eternally grateful for everything they have done, and continue to do. They are true class acts.
I appreciate you taking time to reach out and contact me. I was very busy, but made sure I could find some time to share my A&B experience. Without A&B I honestly don’t know where I would be in life.
– Benjamin Leibold – Sacramento, California
6. I have such a difficult time describing what Above & Beyond mean to me. Every time I experience them live, it just becomes more and more special. The connection they are able to create with/within their audience is mind-boggling. Everyone is there to simply enjoy the music; you grab the hand of the person next to you and sing along to songs both with and without lyrics at the top of your lungs! Everyone at a Group Therapy session is just there to share a magical night with Jono & Paavo & Tony & the person next to them; it doesn’t matter if you’re there with your best friend or all by yourself. IT IS SO ORGANIC!
I became addicted to the pure MAGIC that occurs after my first show, and mind you, I had NO IDEA who they were the first time I saw them. I am so proud to be a part of the Electronic Dance Music community, but Above & Beyond fans are like no one else on this planet. They are a different breed. You are home when you’re at a Group Therapy session. I have been with groups of my best friends, and I have been completely solo and I can say that each and every time has been unforgettable. The memories that I have cultivated with Above & Beyond are some of my absolute favorites and I cherish them with everything I have. Above & Beyond has taught me to appreciate every single day I have. You only get one shot at this life, and Above & Beyond has helped to fill it with such special feelings, memories, friends, and experiences.
Life is truly made of small moments like these. I am happy every single day listening to Above & Beyond (and they always make an appearance in my music selection at least once) and it’s a beautiful way to spend my days! I will never, ever tire of them. I look forward to my next Group Therapy session, whenever and wherever it may be. I hope I get to experience Above & Beyond with some of you someday. ‘Prelude’, my absolute favorite A&B song, just came on, as I am ending this: “this song is about the future; which is in your hands; it can be what you want it to be; so look after it!”
– My name is Vanessa Schofield and I am a 23 year old nurse from Boston, Massachusetts, USA, and simply put, I love Above & Beyond.
7. It actually isn’t my first time seeing Above & Beyond. I first got introduced to them about 3 years ago when I went to their show, Trance Around The World 350 in Los Angeles. I had no idea who they were at the time but some of my friends who were really into Trance said that if nothing else, this was a show I definitely wouldn’t want to miss. Even though I didn’t know any of the songs, I immediately fell in love with their music and would say that that show marks the moment my passion for electronic dance music ignited. Since then I’ve watched them perform about 6 times throughout the past years. I got my rave name at EDC Las Vegas 2011 during their set and was named Sun & Moon. The sun and moon are polar opposites but both need each other to sustain life and this idea really connects with my personality, in that I have multiple personalities but without all of them, I wouldn’t be who I am.
Last year at a Group Therapy show, again in LA, I saw them invite a fan to drop Sun & Moon for the first time and got my Group Therapy shirt signed by Tony and Jono. Now, just this past weekend in San Diego, I was personally picked by Jono to go onstage and press the button. It was completely unexpected and I actually had no idea what was going on at first until I got pulled over the barricade and realized a distant dream was about to come true. It all happened so fast! And the feeling is both mindblowing and heartbreaking at the same time. It is such a humbling sight to see hundreds of people in front of you and I am so thankful to these talented DJs for connecting with their fans and being so kind. What I love about their music is that there is so much sentiment, emotion and feeling that it brings tears to my eyes. The melodies and vocals represent what the soul wishes for and wants to express but can’t always be put into words. And sometimes, that is just what the people need. Their music really does save lives. I’m incredibly lucky to have gotten this opportunity and it’s something worth holding onto life for. So thank you, Above & Beyond, for giving me a once in a lifetime moment that I will treasure forever.
– Jenny Lin, 21 – Irvine, California
8. The first time I saw Above & Beyond was at The Guvernment in Toronto on October 7th, 2012. It was an absolutely amazing experience, I fell in love with trance that night. There was so much emotion that filled the room, I actually cried when they played “Alchemy”. I actually met the love of my life through the event page on Facebook for this night, which may sound absolutely crazy, but it is true! I commented on the event page that I had bought my tickets and how excited I was to see Above & Beyond, and then he commented on my post, and so on. We met in person a month after that and fell head over heels for each other and have been together ever since. Our favorite DJs are Above & Beyond actually. It is crazy how music can bring people together! <3