It is advisable to keep the urge of showing off your festival wristband to everyone under control, because that band is a hotbed of germs if it stays on your hand for long periods.

Via The LAD Bible, Dr. Allison Cottell of the University of Surrey discovered a startling revelation; a two-year-old wristband contained as many as ‘9,000 micrococci and 2,000 staphylococci bacteria on them’.

This is what you must do!

He also added the following to his statement: “Staphylococci are usually harmless although they can cause boils and infections of cuts and grazes, and can also cause a form of acute food poisoning if they are ingested. It would be advisable not to wear them if working in industries such as healthcare or food preparation, where there is a risk that the bacteria may spread to other people.”

Well, cut the bands after you’re done with them!