The Global Gathering UK weekend is upon us, a UK festival that has broken conventions and only delivered some of the most cutting edge and forward thinking electronic music festival in the country. So much so, that the festival has been compared to Reading and Glastonbury in terms of quality.
The Sherp compiled a constructive list of things you SHOULD know about Global Gathering.
1. Global Gathering & Shakespeare have more in common than you’d think.
GlobalGathering is situated in the heart of the English Countryside in Shakespeare’s hometown Stratford Upon Avon.
2. Did you know, this summer’s festival pays homage to this with a Midsummer Night’s Dream themed VIP area?
3. GlobalGathering takes place on a working airfield.
…….and has 2 runways through the site.
4. Back in 2013 the festival launched a ‘Secret Stage’ called ‘The Bunker’
This secret on-site location featured a massive line-up and will required ravers to go on a treasure hunt-esque search for the stage.
This year’s will be legendary, we presume.
5. Global Gathering was the first British Dance Festival to introduce camping.
It currently hosts around 40,000 campers at the UK edition.
6. Believe it or not, over 500,000 individual pieces of confetti are sprayed across the GlobalGathering site over the weekend.
7. GlobalGathering was born when 25,000 clubbers turned up to the opening of the Godskitchen nightclub in 2000.
In 2001 the first festival launched as Godskitchen GlobalGathering
8. Global Gathering has been instrumental in launching and giving platforms to some of the biggest names in Europe’s Dance Music today, like Rudimental, Netsky and Oliver Heldens.
9. The all new EDM arena, The Hangar is apparently the biggest structure on site at the festival and able to house a Boeing 747 Jumbo Jet.
10. GlobalGathering has provided some of the most interesting riders over the years including inflatable dinghies, cakes to throw at the audience, sandwiches cut into zoo animals and even a parachuting hamster!
11. Global Takeover – GlobalGathering has expanded to several editions around the world with festivals previously hosted in America, Australia, South Korea, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and Poland.
Over 190 acts appear at the festival across the weekend and hosted every major electronic music artist over the past 14 years including Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, Daft Punk, The Prodigy, Hardwell, Carl Cox, Eric Prydz, David Guetta and Alesso.
12. GlobalGathering was crowned Best Dance Festival at the 2013 Best of British DJ Mag Awards – it’s third consecutive win.
Pictures Courtesy : GlobalGathering